Mmm… What is that delicious smell? I’m baking cookies! Let’s learn about some great words about food and drinks together! Today, we will talk about some great new vocabulary like aroma, beverage, cluster, cultivate, and tropical. Also, we will discuss the grammar forms related with the word “like.” Don’t miss out on our live discussion too to practice your English!
Here are some exercises for you guys to practice the vocabulary and grammar with! The answers are written at the bottom of the page.
Exercise 1: Vocabulary Word Replacing (Don’t forget to change the word to match the grammar like past/present continuous etc.)
Replace the red word with one of today’s vocabulary: aroma, beverage, cluster, cultivate, and tropical.
1. Coca Cola is a world famous drink.
2. A long time ago farmers used horses to prepare fields.
3. Students should group up during our field trip to stay safe.
4. I really want to go on a vacation to a warm and exotic place.
5. I enjoy smelling the sweet smell of freshly baked cinnamon buns in the morning.
Exercise 2: Grammar:
Showing general descriptions with the word “like.”
Change to following sentences to:
a. either a question: What is (noun/noun form of verb) + like
b. or a simile/description: Noun is + like + noun
*tip* don’t forget to conjugate the verb properly depending on the subject
Example) She is an angel -> She is like an angel.
1. Chocolate. (question).
2. He is a police officer. (description, he is not actually a police officer).
3. She is my mother. (description, she is not actually my mother).
4. Love. (question).
5. Your food. (question).
6. She is my drug. (description, of course she isn’t actually a drug).
*Interesting English fact!* In some of the exercises above like 1, 4, and 5, the sentences are what we call “metaphors” in English poetry. Questions 2, 3, and 6 are what we call “similes” which are metaphors which use the words “like” or “as!”
Please remember to like, subscribe and share this page and the video! Also, this website and these videos are free resources for you guys, and if you would like to support me please turn off ad-blocker when you watch my videos on YouTube and click on an advertisement on this website. You don’t have to buy anything from the advertisement, but just clicking on the advertisement will help me financially so that I can keep on making these free resources for you guys! Thank you!
1. beverage 2. cultivate 3. cluster 4. tropical 5. aroma
1. What is chocolate like?
2. He is like a police officer.
3. She is like my mother
4. What is love like?
5. What is your food like?
6. She is like my drug.